Monday, February 1, 2010

Moss Monograms

I love monograms and initials. And I love all of the natural textures that are popping up in home decor right now like moss. So when I saw Carrie's moss covered initial over at her blog, Buzzings of a Queen Bee, I knew I had to have one as well.

So I headed to Michael's for my supplies armed with a 50% off coupon (which you can find here and use til Feb 8). Remember my Michaels--AC Moore--JoAnn's rule: never, ever shop at any of these stores without a coupon. They are always available!

I scraped up some free time and pulled together my supplies.


I really didn't have a plan other than to hot glue the moss to the letter. So I started gluing...


...and 30 minutes later I had my moss covered L!


I must say that it looks better in person. You can't see the white spots of the letter (I guess the flash picked it up). And it is greener (like in the photo above).


I sort of wish I had a different last name that started with a letter like G so that I could hang the letter like Carrie did, but the L just doesn't lend itself to hanging. So, I'll settle for nestling my L on this shelf.

I have another moss project in the works, but my poor little glue gun gave out tonight. So I've had to postpone that project until I can get to the store to replace it. Stay tuned!

The Breakdown:
Moss: 1 bag Super Moss, $5.99 at Michaels, used 50% off coupon

Letter: wooden, $2.99 at Michaels

Glue Gun & Glue Sticks: from $1 store (although the gun is dead now)

How would you display a moss covered letter? Hang it? Put it on a shelf? Nestle it in a wreath? Let me know!

 This post is part of "DIY Day" at A Soft Place to Land, "Get Your Craft" on at Today's Creative Blog, "I Made it Without my Hubby" at Shanty2Chic, and "Make It for Monday" at Cottage Instincts.





10 comments:

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I saw Carrie do that also, it is darling!

Treasia Stepp said...

How cute that is. Love this idea.

Kate @ The Gaines Gang said...

So cute! I have has a blank letter just waiting for something new.

Thanks for the inspiration.

René said...

I always love a good moss monogram. Yours is one of the best!

Anonymous said...

Very cute! How about in a frame with no glass?

Anonymous said...

I love your moss letter...it is totally chic! And I think I would hang it on the back of a door with a little ribbon or twine. But then, I don't know that I could remove it from your shelf...it looks so darling there :)
Great job girl & thanks for giving me the link!
XO - Katie Bower

Titti @ Shoestring Pavilion said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, it's much appreciated! I love your moss projects, very classy and understated :) And the name of your blog is great, I like it! Hmm, I would probably make the monogram letter a part of a bigger whole. Maybe glue it to an off-white board with black scrolls coming out from underneath the letter? But it also looks great the way you have it :)

Courtney said...

Very cool! I would never have thought to use moss! I like it!!!

Courtney

Pamela said...

Love this idea as well!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

That looks fabulous! I love how it looks on the shelf. And see, the irony is that my "G" wouldn't sit well on a shelf, so I had to hang mine. I guess we always want what we can't have, right? :)
Carrie