Friday, February 5, 2010

More Moss

I finally replaced my worn out glue gun and was able to finish my other moss project.
(And yes, I bought the glue gun at Michael's with a 50% off coupon!)
 

 
 

This is my attempt to add more color to our home, and I am lovin' the green. Pottery Barn has moss wreaths but at $49 I said no thank you! So I made my own for under $5. I need to change out the ribbon to a less stark white one, but the white will do til I can find exactly what I want.

This is our desk area in our living room.I know the desk needs to be painted. It sort of blends too much with the walls. But, I am still afraid of painting furniture! I know, I know. I need to just jump in. Hopefully in the spring when it will be warm enough to open the garage door and enjoy being outside.
 
I used to have candle in these vases, but we never lit them (too dangerous with a rambunctious 3 year old). So I replaced them with a little moss topped off with grapevine balls. The little carved bird was my Granny's. And once again I brought in hardcover books to add some height. (Can you see the title of the top book? "Building a Home with my Husband"! How perfect is that?!?)
This is a plant/beverage stand that gets moved all over the house! Filled with ice it keeps our beverages chilled in the kitchen or on the deck during gatherings with friends. At Christmas time it houses poinsettias. During the summer it usually has a large green plant in it. For now, it is full of huge pine cones.
A suede and leather blotter provides a nice place to write letters and thank you cards. And the votive candles (which are battery operated!) are nice soft light at night when I don't have the lamp on.

 I love the iron chair! See the little birdie on the bottom? It used to be in a corner of our guestroom, but when we brought in the desk and needed a chair I knew it would be a perfect match. Granted it's not incredibly comfy, but I throw a pillow on it when I need to sit there.



The Breakdown:
Wreath: Foam wreath from the $1 store. Bag of moss from Micahels for $3. ($6, but used a 50% off coupon!) Had the ribbon in my stash, but on the hunt for a better color.

Mirror: It came from Home Goods or TJ Maxx, I can't remember.

Desk: A hand-me-down from the in-laws. My father in law originally found it at a garage sale! He striped it and painted it and then didn't want to keep it. Score of us!

Plant/Beverage Stand: The Entertaining Bucket and Tray & Red Mountain Iron Stand from Southern Living at Home. It's $140 together, but I got a great deal on it when I hosted an SLH party! I always have a stash of pine cones to use around the house in the fall and winter. I recently added to the stash when Michael's had them for 99 cents a bag after Christmas.

Lamp: We've had this lamp for years. I think it originally came from a department store. It has a mate and the pair have been in our first bedroom in our first apt, our bedroom in our house, the guestroom, and now this on is on the desk while the other is in our laundry nook. I'd like to replace the shade, but I'm not sure what kid/style/color. Any suggestions?

Votive Candles: The Jamestown votive candle holders from Southern Living at Home. I don't think they carry them anymore. I usually buy the battery operated candles from Michael's with, you guessed it, a coupon!

Desk Blotter: From Home Goods for $12!

Candle Holders: Also from Southern Living at Home, but they are no longer available. The moss was left over from the wreath and the grapevine balls are from Michael's for $2.99. each.

Iron Chair: From Ross. I hardly ever go there, but over time it has become my go to place for small furniture. Our leather storage benches in the mudroom and our leather chairs in the basement are also from Ross. I scored the chair for, I believe, $39.99.

Do you have a desk in your home? Where is it? In your living room, kitchen, an office?  And don't forget to share your ideas for what color we should paint the desk!

This post is part of Shanty2Chic's "I Made it Without my Hubby" and Cottage Instints' "Make It for Monday".


3 comments:

WhisperWood Cottage said...

So many great ideas, Jessi! I love how you used the moss and the grapevine! The wreath looks great in front of the mirror. The desk looks beautiful in the photos. I like the neutral color and woodgrain top because they can work in any room. What color were you thinking of painting it?

Pamela said...

Loving the moss wreath! I just shopped the Dollar Store well because everybody has been raving abt their finds. I bought the circle foam and several bags of moss. I may just forgo the cupcake holder wreath and make a moss wreath instead!

Megandvd@Beauty in the Attempt said...

Moss and grapevine? My dear are you trying to swoon me? Hehehe...I love using moss for color. I was thinking of doing the same project for our large leaning mirror. :) Also thinking of making some moss terrariums...we shall see though. I need 2 more containers before I tackle this project.

Cheers~
e