Monday, April 19, 2010

Deckin' out a Deck with Bernadette!

I am incredibly happy to introduce you all to an uber talented friend of mine, Bernadette Uzcategui.
Bernadette is a fabulous on-location photographer in the Philadelphia/Main Line area specializing in pet, newborn, baby, children and family photography.
Please take a moment to visit Bernadette's site here.

When I saw Bernadette's deck prepped and ready for the summer, I asked her to be a guest blogger so that all of you can be as impressed as I am! So without further ado, here is the lovely Bernadette!


My back deck.

A place for oversized squirrels to scurry and mock my dog? Check.
A place for pollen+leaves+bugs to collect and hang out? Check.
Place for me to relax and put my feet up while enjoying the sunshine? Not so much!

With the turn of the season and the gorgeous sunshine filtering through the blossoming trees, I decided it was time for a mini-makeover. I have a 2.5 year old running around, so quick-turnaround was a big part makeover!
I decided to start with the basics: clean the deck. Go figure! A can of OxiClean and a brush broom did the trick!
Next: A table. I had an old vintage iron table base in my basement that I have been lugging around since college, so I pulled that up, along with a salvaged wooden YMCA sign and a HUGE piece of glass that used to be my tabletop…again, in college!

All of my furniture was the same: basic wooden chairs from IKEA. But I needed a real color POP. That is where one of my favorite design stores of all time comes in: Target. Seriously, everything that you see in the after shots that is aqua is from none other that Target! IKEA is the second contributor to the final look: the red accents including the cute lantern on the table are from IKEA.

I completed the festive look with some string lights around the fence to give us a glow while entertaining in the evening and some palms, which I am seriously hoping that I can keep alive this year! I threw weather-proof rug down for the kiddos to play and vio-la! A budget-friendly space where I can sit and enjoy in less than 3 hours!

9 comments:

bopbopdesigns said...

Love it!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

What a great transformation. I love her deck.

Stephenie from Decorating Addiction said...

It looks awesome! Thanks for the inspiration. I love the color combination and the plants make it very homey!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

This looks amazing!!! I love the transformation! :)

Wendy said...

Looks great! I am so happy it is deck time! I couldn't find your email...sorry. Are you still good to meet us on Thursday for lunch? We are going to come your way and meet at King of Prussia! Send me an email and I send you the details!!
Wendy

Unknown said...

Love your transformation, all with beautiful colors.

Hugs
Charo

Val said...

You did an amazing job! I love all the pops of color :)

1 Funky Woman said...

Fantastic colors. What a charming space! If the rain would ever stop I could get my deck finished!

Comeca Jones said...

Its still such cute space!