Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Skirting the Issue: Utility Sink Facelift?


I grabbed this potato sack from one of my favorite vintage shops a while back. It reminded me of my Gramps who likes to use the phrase, "That's a Jim Dandy!" (Translation: "That's an excellent...")
I originally intended to use it as a wall hanging in the laundry room, but instead it has landed here:


Yeah, it's not on the wall. When I held up the potato sack art where I intended to hang it, the wall sort of overwhelmed it. Realizing I was going to need some pieces to compliment it before hanging, I leaned it against the utility sink and walked away. When I returned to the room later, I realized I kind of liked the look it is creating on the utility sink--an alternative to the skirt I've planned to make and add but never get around. (Because frankly, I have no idea how to make a sink skirt!)

The sink is in a tiny nook in our small laundry room. The area went unnoticed and unused for the first year that we lived here. Now I use it to clean up paint brushes, pre-treat stained clothes (which I do a lot of since my kids are apparently the messiest ever), and so on. The nook and room is so small it's hard to take photos in there...see?


Here's how the creation of the potato-sack-turned-possible-utility-sink-skirt-alternative went down:


I cut open the sack along one seam. 



Then I wrapped it over the foam board. Since the board was bigger than the sack, I used an exacto knife to trim the excess.



Once the board was trimmed down I finished wrapping it with the sack and hot glued along the back of the board. When finished, I added the nail head tacks to each corner.


 I haven't affixed it to the sink yet as I'm still pondering it's permanence there. If I decide to leave this at the sink, then I'll take care of that gap I know y'all have noticed in all of the photos. ;) If I go with wall, then I need to gather some complimentary pieces to go with it. Decisions!





I'll share the rest of the laundry room and it's little nook later this week. It's a work in progress, just like the rest of this house! In the meantime, where do ya'll think the Jim Dandy's potato sack should end up? Sink or wall? 


I'm linked up with the Tutorials & Tips Party over at Beth's Home Stories from A to Z.
.  Come on y'all...join us! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sink looks original however I wonder about the piece hanging off the sink and if it will get wet.
Wall would be cool as well but I think I am liking the sink if you could figure out the top part. Great idea!!

Jessi said...

Thanks so much for your comment! The white linen has been there for quite a while. It's fine and stays dry when I use the sink for a quick hand wash or so. For anything more, I move it. :)