Monday, April 5, 2010

10 Minute Clean Up

I love 10-minute-clean-ups. It's an easy way to feel like you've accomplished a big task, but without the big work. I try to find at least one 10-minute-clean-up project a week. Today, I chose my son's kitchen areas--his drawer and cabinet. Both had gotten wildly out of hand!

Before

After

Before

After


So much better in just 10 minutes! I purged and got rid of several sippy cups that my son is too old for now or that had taken such a beating it was time to trash them. This opened up a shelf in the cabinet that allowed me to move his plates and bowls in, which meant I was able to get them out of our cabinet. I love using ziploc bags in organization of drawers. It's a great way to get lots of little places in one place, and the clear bags allow you to see what you are looking for quickly.

I also have a nightly 10-minute-clean-up ritual. I walk through the first floor and do one last clean up before we go up to bed. Straighten the pillows on the couch, put away blankets, file mail, stow away toys, clean out the sink, etc. This means that clutter doesn't pile up as quickly, and we come down to a clean house in the morning!

Do you have any quick clean up routines? Any tips you can share?


5 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I really need to take a day and clean out closets and drawers. I do straighten up all the time and have to pick up dog toys and put them in the basket before bed. I hate to get up at night and step on a squeaky toy. I about come out of my skin.

N @ Cheap Like a Birdie said...

I totally agree, the little clean ups give you the boost to want to tackle the bigger jobs.

Stephenie from Decorating Addiction said...

I set a timer for 15 minutes sometime and just do as much as I can. I used to be hooked on "Fly Lady" website a long time ago, but then I was overwhelmed by all of her emails!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

LOVE these tips! thanks for inpsiring me to get up and CLEAN a bit!

~Amanda

Megandvd@Beauty in the Attempt said...

Great idea!! 10 minutes is about all I have these days so that is right up my alley. :)

I do have one little trick with mail (we get so much). I have my mail file and place it all in there and sort Thursday night. Habit for me but keeps my countertops from becoming a drop zone.

Cheers~
e