Sunday, February 28, 2010

Fluffing the Nest, Part 1

I have spent the past few weeks fluffing our nest...the room we spend the most time in...our living/family room. I'm still not completely finished, but I am so much closer than I've ever been in the 7 years we have lived here. You saw the drapes I added just the other day. This weekend I added artwork, new pillows, and a new fireplace screen.

I love, love, love our Pottery Barn Outlet, and I scored my two best deals ever  there this weekend!

First up, their Bird Canvas Wall Art.
I saw this in their spring catalog and sighed over it's unique beauty, but at $279 I moved on to the next page. But as I made my initial walk through the outlet I came across some miscellaneous items gathered in the back. I strolled over and lo and behold there were 2 of these canvases thrown on top of some furniture. I was surprised because it is unusual to find something a the outlet that is brand new to the stores. The first one was tagged $199.99. Still more than I wanted to pay. Then I glanced at the second one. $99.00. WHAT?!?!? I didn't let go of it till I loaded it into the car.

Then my hubby asked me if I'd be interested in a new fireplace screen. Not something on my radar, but I was curious and told him to lead the way. He had stumbled upon some newly marked down...are you ready for this?...$9.99! The original tag on the box said $250. We quickly ushered it to the front claiming it as ours and got in line.

Next on my list: pillows. I took all the comments on my bird pillows to heart, and agreed with everyone. 3 was just too many. In fact, with the large bird canvas now going over the couch I also felt that 2 bird pillows was even too many. I had hoped to score some others at the PB Outlet but didn't have any luck. As you all know, I hate to pay full price for anything, but I had exhausted all efforts at all of my regular haunts searching for pillows. So I headed to PB and exchanged 2 of the bird pillows for 2 of their new crocheted pillows and a new floral lumbar pillow. At least I already had most of the inserts I needed and didn't have to buy those!

So here is my new wall art, pillows and fireplace screen! I am in LURVE.
(Please excuse the ugly laptop cord in these pics that I failed to move, and the poor lighting.)

 


I love that the screen is so much bigger than the one we had (you can see it here). Unfortunately, the middle orchid is now obscured. I'm trying to decide whether to only use 2 there, or just remove them all. And my newly painted vintage sign is just propped above the fireplace. I am considering moving the circular tea light holder up and putting the sign under it. What do you guys think?

I have a few more things to share that I've done in this room lately that have made a big difference for me. I'll share those over the next few days, so be sure to check back with me!

In the meantime, tell me...what have been your biggest and best scores for your home?




8 comments:

Heather said...

Looks great! I can't believe you got that screen for $10! It is awesome. :)

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I lurve that bird canvas wall art to. It is really large. What a deal. I do like your new pillows, too and that fireplace screen for 9.99 no way!!!

The Cozy Chateau said...

Great finds! The bird canvas is gorgeous - don't blame you for holding on to that one tightly. I'm a new follower!

Kerri said...

Love the PB finds! I defintely think the new sign will fit perfectly above the fireplace if you move up the tea light holder a couple of inches. Glad you had a good wknd,
Kerri

Meg said...

Love it! That floral pillow in the center of your couch is just perfect. You've been finding some mighty fine deals lately! Your muscles must be super impressive from all of that fabulous fluffing!

My husband and I are on a very tight newlywed budget, so all of our big purchases are Goodwill and Craig's List finds. Our entire dining room set was given to us for free by a friend moving across the country and I found a 1960's vintage stereo console (with a working radio and record player) at Goodwill for 19 dollars. Isn't it the best thing when you find something on super sale?

Stacey said...

You go girl!! That canvas is amazing. It's so much bigger than I would have guessed in the catalog. It really makes a beautiful statement in your room.

Sandra said...

I've been to your blog before...I remember the fireplace! Love the pillow and wall canvas...looks pretty. Thanks for stopping by to visit...come back soon. Sandra

Andrea said...

Love, love, love the bird art and the screen!! You scored!!!